the ramblings of my journey through life, following my passion and enjoying the adventure

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just do it!

So this is my first blog post. On Thursday's, Lumka my charlady is here, which means it's the weekly "big cleaning day" and that relates to not being the best day in my eyes to start a blog. However, according to Penelope Trunk's blog post http://blog.penelopetrunk.com on How to Blog, her advice struck a chord. "Post, post, post," she says, "don't tell yourself you'll do it tomorrow, practice, no one is reading your blog, ignore that, sit down and post on a regular basis".

Having kept journals for most of my life means that writing, and writing on a regular basis comes quite easy, and having no readers is very much in line with journaling. So how difficult or different can this be?

After numerous hours spent educating myself on templates and backgrounds, weighing up the pros and con's of a 2 or 3 column layout, gadgets, colours, followers, RSS, SEO, HTML, choices of software and after many boo-hoo, a-ha and what happened now moments, this is my progress.

Journaling for me has a very distinct process to it. Its not only about putting your thoughts onto paper or expressing your emotions, it starts way before that. Many of my journals have been regular exercise books, covered and decorated; some were bought with beautiful images on them; handmade journals; those with collage covers and my favourite right now is the mixed media art covers. It's about the feeling the journal cover evokes in me, it's the tactile feel of the paper, the sound my pen makes as my thoughts become a living testimony to who I am. Many hours are spent creating the cover, sometimes even more than the amount of time it takes to journal.

On many levels, starting a blog hasn't been more difficult or different than journaling. Both are a creative process that I enjoy and find rewarding. Where blogging will take me is something I will have to wait out and see. So far it has been great. I have become more acquainted with a lot of "buzz words", and although I have seen many that I cannot for the life of me comprehend - I have my own blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment